KeePass is an offline encrypted password database format. It is an alternative to popular online password managers and is supported on all major distributions and other OS platforms.
Currently, there are two variants of the database formats: KeePass 1.x (Classic) and KeePass 2.x
There are three major implementations of KeePass, which are included in official repositories:
- KeePass — An easy-to-use password manager for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and mobile devices. It also has optional autotype and clipboard support respectively when
xselare installed. Supports importing from many formats. Has many plugins.
- KeePassX — KeePassX is a cross platform port of the Windows application Keepass Password Safe. The new version is compatible with 2.x database formats, but can import 1.x databases. One may also import PwManager databases and KWallet XML databases. Does not have plugin functionality, 2017-02-03.
- KeepassXC — Fork of KeePassX that aims to incorporate stalled Pull Requests, features, and bug fixes that are not being incorporated into the main KeePassX baseline.
Other lesser known implementations are found in the AUR:
- keepassc — A curses-based password manager compatible to KeePass v.1.x and KeePassX. It also uses
xselfor clipboard functions.
- kpcli — A command line browser of KeePassX database files
- keeweb — A desktop webapp compatible to KeePass 2.x.
- https://keeweb.info || AUR AUR
Many plugins and extensions are available for integrating KeePass to other software.
KeePass is by default, installed at
plugin.plgx to a plugins sub-directory under the KeePass installation directory as demonstrated below:
# mkdir /usr/share/keepass/plugins # cp plugin.plgx /usr/share/keepass/plugins
- KeeFox ( AUR)
Firefox extension that links the browser to existing or new KeePass database. KeeFox needs to be setup before it is fully functional.
Extension allowing Firefox to form-fill passwords stored in KeePass.
Modifies window title to assist autotype feature.
Extension allowing Google Chrome and Chromium to form-fill passwords stored in KeePass.
Modifies window title to assist autotype feature. Similar to KeePass Helper for Firefox in function.
- Keeweb for Nextcloud ( AUR)
Open Keepass stores inside Nextcloud